Unless you’re Google, your company software could probably be better, but taking the leap to a new custom web application or mobile apps is a big decision. Not only is defining the project challenging, but vetting out web development companies can be overwhelming. It’s easy to find great programmers, but for a major project, you need more than just a couple of computer geeks. Communication and project management are key parts to any custom development project, and you don’t want to get stuck with a vendor who doesn’t keep you in the loop. It’d be so much easier to survive the whole process of development if you knew what to expect from your web development company.
At Rocket Jones, we believe that working with a developer shouldn’t be stressful. We know how overseeing a big software project for your company can be challenging, and after working with businesses for 15 years, we’ve created a simple process you can trust. The four stages to every project are how we help you not just survive, but enjoy a custom software project. Our 4-Stage process plans out every step so you don’t have to wonder what comes next.
Stage 1: Explore + Imagine
Our Stage 1 is focused on you and your users. During this stage, we take the time to get to know you and your company. We ask questions, listen, and work to understand what you are trying to achieve. Your users are central to our exploration; we conduct User Experience research to find primary users and key tasks. This stage sets a sturdy foundation and clear goals. It can include:
- Reviewing existing data. We don’t ignore the work you’ve already done—after all, you know your customers and challenges better than we do!
- Gathering information and conducting interviews. We get to know your team, your department, division, or company through questionnaires, meetings, and one-on-one interviews.
- Shadowing the intended users. We conduct field visits to observe real users interacting with your current system.
- Writing user stories and create personas. Compiling our field research allows more targeted goals and development.
- Identifying platforms and technology. We discuss any technical requirements and help you determine what would best serve you.
- Identifying specific needs. Once we’ve learned about your unique vision or specific challenges, we recommend solutions for what we believe will make the best initial implementation.
Stage 2: Design + Sketch
Our Stage 2 is all about finding possible solutions to the goals identified in Stage 1. We continue to collaborate closely with you in this stage. Just like you wouldn’t build a house without blueprints, we create detailed plans for your software based on what we learn during Stage 1. This documentation will see multiple iterations as we make decisions and revise together. By getting everything on paper, you can see exactly what to expect, and the documentation gives our developers clear direction. Stage 2 can include:
- Designing necessary data structures. We define the underlying database structures and data sources, and we plan for future growth opportunities.
- Creating wireframes. Wireframes are line drawings of each screen with notes on functionality and interaction. Planning out each screen on paper allows us to hammer out details before writing code.
- Developing interaction diagrams. These flow diagrams walk you through how the user will interact with the product every step of the way.
- Creating rapid prototypes. These prototypes demonstrate basic functionality and give you a feel for how the application will work.
Stage 3: Build + Test
With a clear design and technical description, we can move forward on construction. Our experienced development team follows best practices to write robust, secure, and scalable code. Stage 3 is where the application is built, and it can also include:
- User testing. Real people perform real-world tasks with your software.
- Automated testing. Automated testing gives you peace of mind knowing that the most business-critical aspects of your application will function well.
- Analyzing feedback and refining code. After testing, we make any corrections needed.
Stage 4: Support + Scale
Our Stage 4 sets us apart from other web development companies. As great as your software is at launch, updates are inevitably needed down the road. We’ll help you monitor performance levels and scale as you grow. Rocket Jones’ commitment to your success extends beyond the launch date. Our lifecycle services give you peace of mind; you’ll know that your application is always up-to-date and performing well. Stage 4 can include:
- We provide safe, stable, and scalable servers housed in data centers for your applications.
- Support and maintenance. We pride ourselves on giving you superior support by answering questions and fixing bugs for 60 days beyond the date of your software launch.
- Performance monitoring. We look at things like CPU usage, memory usage, and performance. This process helps identify potential issues that can arise as your application grows.
- Future enhancements. As your trusted partner, we’re available to share our insights, examine your pain points, and evaluate new ideas you may have.
- Technology updates. To ensure that supporting technology is always up-to-date, we deploy security patches, minor updates, and major updates to the underlying software that supports your application.
When you choose Rocket Jones, you can feel confident in your new software and enjoy the development process without the stress of wondering what’s next. So if you’re looking for custom web software, call Rocket Jones today to schedule a meeting (970-482-5790). We’ll sit down and chat about your ideas, business needs, and possible solutions. After our meeting, the Rocket Jones team will create a free custom quote for you.